Friday, August 30, 2019

Personal Care Products

The two items I decided to review were my conditioner and deodorant. 

My conditioner is Shea Moisture 100% virgin coconut oil daily hydration conditioner with coconut milk and acacia Senegal. I was extremely surprised to find out my conditioner had a rating of 4 which is labeled as moderate. I specifically bought this shampoo because it claims to have no sulfates, parabens, mineral oil, propylene glycol, phthalates, petrolatum or animal testing. This advertising on the bottle led me to believe that I was choosing a "safe" product, so I was a little disappointed to find out the rating oy my conditioner. One of the most harmful ingredients in my conditioner is cetrimonium chloride which is a known human skin toxicant and has had reproductive toxicity in certain animal studies. It is also suspected to be an environmental toxin. 

The deodorant I use is Secret Spring Breeze, and it has a rating of 5 moderately hazardous. This rating was also surprising to me but mainly because I expected it to be higher. The most harmful ingredient in my deodorant is the fragrance which has a rating of 8 for highly hazardous. Most of the ingredients in my deodorant have organ system toxicity concerns. 

I was extremely surprised to learn all the different ingredients in my products that have toxicity concerns. It definitely makes me want to be a more conscious consumer and purchase more safe products. I think everyone should know the risks and then decide for themselves if they want to continue using their current products or shop for alternatives. It is my opinion that consumers arent buy toxic products on purpose, rather they are just completely unaware. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lorena!

    Isn't it crazy how companies can say almost anything on their product to increase the sales? I remember taking a nutritional class in my undergrad where we discussed what it means to be an organic farmer and how the regulations are not as legitimate as you'd think. There only needs to be a certain percentage of the farming process that needs to be organic and the remaining percent can be anything. When I think about our products and what we've been learning, just in this first module concerning the lack of regulation around our personal care products, makes me question how organic these products really are and what it means for us as consumers using them on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lorena,

    I completely agree with you, consumers aren't buying toxic products on purpose, in fact many times they are led to believe that they are buying a "safe" or "natural" product when in reality they are not. Many still hold the belief that if a product is out in the market then it must be safe for us to use.

    ReplyDelete