Sunday, September 22, 2019

5.2 Importance of Safe Drinking Water

Watching the videos on water facts, groundwater, and the clean water drinking act made me realize how quickly bodies of water are disappearing. It also reminded me of a lecture I had in one of my anthropology classes in undergrad. In my anthropology class, we talked about aquifers and how Porterville, California is sinking at an alarming rate due to groundwater depletion. Ironically, despite sitting on a large aquifer, wells in East Porterville have gone dry because the water from the aquifer is being used for other cities. My professor ended that lecture by saying that he believed the next war would be the water war. This also made me think about how many people are deciding not to have kids due to the uncertainty of the ecological future. It is insane that we continue to pollute our most precious resource. Even with the Clean Water Act of 1972, water pollution continues to happen, and it can take years to repair the damage. I'm specifically referring to the two superfund sites in my county that have contaminated the water.

In such a short amount of time, we have drastically changed the course of our most precious resource, water,  leaving our ecological future hanging in the balance. We need stricter regulations and laws around water usage and conservation.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lorena,

    It's interesting that you brought up what your professor said regarding a water war. I remember when I was young I would watch Sci-fi movies where humanity would go to war over the last remaining ounces of a natural resource that had been depleted over the course of time. Back then it seemed like such a ridiculous concept. This however is very likely to be our reality in the near future if nothing is done to create, like you said, stricter regulations around water usage an conservation.

    ReplyDelete